If you have read this blog, you know in the past I have shared some of my favorite easy-to-make breakfast casseroles and dishes that can be made in advance and then merely popped into the oven in the morning. Why? I do not like baking or cooking elaborate things in the morning. Although considered a morning person by SPH, the truth is I seldom enjoy being in the kitchen in the morning other than to pour a coffee, tea or bowl of cereal.
Enter R, who loves hot breakfasts. G? He is content as can be with a bowl of cereal, but R is not a big cereal fan and consequently often requests eggs for breakfast. Eggs are preferable to his frequent request of pancakes or homemade waffles, so I usually oblige. But since breakfast can be somewhat hectic, with me trying to get three (SPH flies solo on breakfast) breakfasts prepared at once, I have found a little-less hands on way to get eggs on the table.
Baking eggs in the oven is a good way to get a large number of scrambled eggs on the table at once, but it also works for a our small-ish weekday egg needs too. Instead of constant monitoring, just a quick peak once in a while allows for the eggs to cook up perfectly.
How to make Oven Scrambled Eggs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Choose the number of eggs you want
3. Add one tablespoon milk per egg you are preparing, plus a dash of salt and pepper.
4. For every 4 eggs, add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or melted butter.
5. Mix well and choose an oven safe dish that will be ample for your egg mixture (for 8-12 eggs, we use a 9x9 glass pan).
6. Bake at 375 degrees. The time you need will vary on how many eggs you are baking in the oven, but basically you will want to check on the eggs after 6-8 minutes of baking and then every few minutes from then on, scraping the dish each time, as you would a pan on the stove top.
7. Once *almost* set, turn the heat on the oven off, crack the oven door open, and let finish while you finish your other breakfast items.
To make preparing oven scrambled eggs even easier, you can mix the egg, milk, salt, pepper and vegetable oil the night prior and then give it a quick re-stir before you pop it into the oven.