Fine motor skills are essential skills for writing and thus literacy. Making a fun craft from start to finish is one way to make an activity like lacing more fun. I did a lady bug because we found one that day but don't feel restricted , do whatever your child is into.
1. Gather your materials. You will need some cardboard ( cereal boxes are my favorite), a marker, some crayons, a hole punch and a shoe lace ( I like the big ones from the children's department.)
2. Draw a lady bug on your cardboard with a marker.
3. Have your child color it with crayon. I like wax crayon because it doesn't wet the cardboard like markers can and make the paper weaker. Cut out.
4. Punch holes along the perimeter of the bug.
5. Thread the shoelace and tie a knot ( or two) so it doesn't slip through while they are lacing.
6. Lace it up!