Ashton Jojo, an 11-year-old girl from New York, died Wednesday while visiting a Florida resort with her family. The medical examiner says her cause of death was electrocution.
Ashton was mini golfing with her family, and had waded into a pond on the course to retrieve her ball. Another guest heard her scream and attempted to help, but was injured while doing so.
Ashton was transported to a nearby hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
The Orange Lake Resort in Kissimmee, where the incident happened, at this time do not know how the water became electrified. The mini golf facility is currently closed and will not open until a full investigation is complete.
It's devastating and tragic stories like this that remind us that, while summer is certainly care-free, there are safety hazards to be aware of. While I'm sure it never crossed her family's minds that anything like this would ever happen, it's important to always stay aware of any potential dangers, including water safety.
As we approach the Fourth of July, many families will be traveling to the beach or pool for some ultimate fun in the sun (we will be, too!) Remember to stay up-to-date on summer safety to ensure your family has lots of (safe) fun while enjoying this awesome time of year.
Summer Safety Resources on FE:
Stay safe out there, everyone! And most importantly, have fun!