This experiment was originally going to be simple paper printing, but as you will see sometimes things don't go as planned . However my son and I transitioned our failed art project into a fun experiment.
What we were supposed to do was dip the paper into the water and make prints, only the paper was way more color fast than expected. So Instead we cut strips from all colors , made predictions about which would make prints, and which wouldn't. Slowly as we did it my 4 year old started to grasp that the paper was dyed, that it was the color coming out because it was wet. Soon the pattern of dark colors making prints became apparent and we concluded they had more dye to make them darker.
Great learning experience and a ton of fun, especially for a failed art project.